Sunday, April 25, 2010

Shiny Silver Saturday!

I spent McKenna's nap time yesterday painting some accessories for her her room and my bathroom today. Although when I brought them inside (our yard guy showed up) to avoid getting caked in dust from the leaf blower, they weren't totally cry and I got fingerprints and fabric marks on them. So I had to take them out after M went to bed last night and give them a fresh coat. Grrr.

So here are my accessories for McKenna's Big Girl Room that I started with... (The jar tops aren't for her room, I'm just getting those painted for a later project).

Before
Photobucket


After
These are for M's room. See the big fat thumb print on the smallest one?
Photobucket


This is for my bathroom shelf, or maybe the kitchen. It still needs another coat and then I'll sand the edges a bit to distress it.
Photobucket


And here they are this morning (plus the fan that lives in my bathroom all summer because it gets so freakin 'hot in there).
Photobucket

I forgot to snap a pic of the fan before, but it was a dark grey plastic with a big ugly logo on the front... and lots of dust. Yuck. It looked like this.
Photobucket
Some dripping, but I can live with it.
Photobucket


Photobucket

I still haven't decided on a color for this guy
Photobucket

Nor have I figured out what to do with this metal shelving. I plan to use it out in my little outdoor craft area. I've though about a fresh coat of black, white, brown... or even she shiny silver. That would be a whole lot of shine! I need to make a decision though because all of my crates full of craft stuff are currently sitting on the dining room table. They need a new home.
Suggestions welcome (needed)!!
Photobucket

I've also had the paint to repaint my bathroom for about 2 weeks (or more!) now but still haven't done it. I think I'm going to just try and do the edging one day when M goes down for her nap. If I'm feeling really ambitious, I can try and finish it later that same night after she goes to bed. The problem is, by the end of the day I rarely want to do much other than just sit quietly and do nothing.

4 comments:

Shannon Hunter said...

Can you post a picture of where you're going to put that huge shelving unit? That will help us better decide what colors to suggest. Love the metallic, but you're right about it being too much for that big guy I'm guessing. It is kind of ugly, you said it yourself, (haha) so I'm thinking nothing too loud might be good. Perfect for outdoor storage!! All your ideas as so great and keep up the great work on the blog! We ARE reading! ;)

Unknown said...

HaHa! Thanks Shannon. I do wonder once in a while if anyone is out there. lol
If you look at this post: http://lifeinthevalleyofthesun.blogspot.com/2010/04/spur-of-moment-project.html it shows the area where I plan to use it. The 3rd picture shows the concrete block wall and I'm thinking probably to the right of that window, along the wall. I'm still deciding on exact placement.

Shannon Hunter said...

I am terrible at this stuff, so probably not your best resource, but I'd say if you don't care for the shelf itself I would paint it a color that doesn't stand out too much. Are you going to paint the brick wall? Maybe do the x on the back of the shelving unit in the same color as the wall so they kind of blend in and then the shelves and sides the color to compliment the sitting area. Does that sound dumb? I was thinking black might look okay because of the fence that surrounds the sitting area. IDK I'm loving the outdoor space though and love the mini trash cans! We live in such different worlds! haha- total opposites of the country. You are doing a great job and I see that craft bug has officially hit! You rock!

Unknown said...

You're not terrible at this stuff... I love the idea of painting the brackets the same color as the concrete block. I hadn't thought of that. The concrete will stay as-is, that's what the exterior of our house looks like, along with an olive green stucco in sections (additions). I'm leaning toward a fresh coat of black. Thanks for your input!