Monday, July 9, 2012

Routine

I had a realization recently. Back when I still worked in the corporate world, one of the things I thrived on was routine and schedules. My job was very detail oriented and driven by deadlines. I had a schedule for everything and I loved it. It gave me some sense of security, that I was staying on track, as well as a sense of purpose and accomplishment. What I realized recently is that now that I am home full time, I really, really miss that routine/schedule.

So, this week begins my new routine of having a somewhat set schedule each week. My calendar is now full of the kids' activities, my workouts and even my daily cleaning chores. (I'm hoping this will also help me finally manage to stay on top of keeping the house clean!)  I'm using Cozi.com, which auto-populates my iCal.  Craig has a login for the site too, so he can add things to the calendar as well.  Everything can be sorted by/assigned to various family members.  It's been awesome so far.  I've been wanting to increase my number of workouts per week, from 3 to 5, for a few months now. I thought a good way to accomplish this would be to finally try some group classes on the days that I don't run. Can you believe I've never taken a group fitness class?! Well, it seems the simple act of finally putting in on my schedule (in my calendar) was enough to get me in there. I decided to try the Strength & Cardio Conditioning class. It sounded interesting. Well, turns out it was a Step class. Had I known it would be Step, that would not have been first choice, but it was a decent enough workout. I got a good sweat out of it, although I never felt particularly challenged.... Well, until we did abs and push-ups. lol. I wasn't terribly impressed with the instructor, but all in all it went well and I'm happy that I finally stepped out of my comfort zone a little bit and took a class. I have another class on my schedule for Wednesday.

I'll be accomplishing another first tonight; I'm going to join a friend, and fellow MRTT member, for a run this evening (7:00). It should be around 110 degrees outside. Lovely. I hope it won't be as miserable as I expect it to be. I'm just happy to be getting out there. I really need to try and acclimate myself to the heat (I have a 5k coming up on the 21st) so I can get in at least one run a week outside. Summer sucks for running.  Come on November!!  ;)

No comments: