Saturday, April 9, 2011

Busy, busy, busy!

I hate that I so rarely find the time to posts updates on here these days.  *sigh*  At least I think that I'll hopefully begin to do a better job as Seamus starts to settle into more of a routine.  Right now both kids are sleeping!!  I should be sleeping too, but I've been dying to get a post up.  Obviously I can't post all the adorable photos and cute stories from the last... however long its been since I posted last.  (((cringe)))  So, here are few from the past few weeks.

Seamus is working hard on sitting up on his own, but hasn't mastered it yet.  I swear I think he's going to take a bit longer than McKenna did since he doesn't get near the amount of "floor time" that she did.  It never fails that within a few minutes of me putting him on the floor (and sitting right next to him, standing guard) McKenna is diving next to him or running past and nearly squashing him in the process.  Despite his limited floor time, he's strong as can be!  He stands (assisted) like a champ, pulls his little legs up and scoots when he's on his tummy and is grabbing everything within reach... and shoving it directly into his mouth.  :)

McKenna really is so great with him and LOVES her little brother.  He, of course, is thrilled to be included in anything she's doing and is always watching her like a hawk, completely enthralled.

Their first bath together.  McKenna had been asking, at every bath, for Seamus to join her.  She points to the tub and says "Shay-shay bath"?  How could I say no to that?  I think they both enjoyed it.
Photobucket

I can't get over how grown up she looks in some photos I take.  My sweet beautiful girl.
Photobucket

She LOVES to be outside.  I swear she would happily spend 24/7 outside if I would let her.
Photobucket

Seamus' first ride, without being in his car seat, in the BOB stroller.
Photobucket

Checking in on her little brother.  How cute is that?
Photobucket

The little man has been working on starting solids over the past couple of weeks.  So far, so good.  We've had a couple nights where his tummy gave him some troubles, but overall he's doing great and has a pretty hefty appetite!
Photobucket

After driving out to Tempe to pre-register for my 5k (more on that later), we stopped for some ice cream.  Check out the crazy cotton candy ice cream! 
Photobucket


Photobucket

After that we stopped off to see the "ana-ma-mals".  I love how these two are checking each other out.  lol
Photobucket

He wasn't so impressed with the animals. ;)
Photobucket

Having fun on his activity mat.
Photobucket

As I mentioned, Miss McKenna always wants in on the action.  :)  I love it... as long as Seamus doesn't get flattened. 
Photobucket

McKenna with her favorite playmate.
Photobucket

She is such a goofball.  She decided it was time for "night night".  She told me "I go night night", laid there for a few minutes and then popped up telling me, "I wake up".  Love her.
Photobucket

Little man, enjoyin' the ride.
Photobucket


Photobucket


Ok, so more on the 5k. 
I started the couch-to-5k training early last year, but had to stop when I found out I was pregnant with Seamus.  I stayed very active throughout my pregnancy and was definitely chomping at the bit to get back to training after he was born.  I started up again sometime in November, I think.  I know I was at least a couple weeks into it by Thanksgiving.  I wasn't always great about sticking to my schedule of 3 days a week.  In fact, more than once, I went 2 weeks between runs!!  However, I managed to keep on track each time and move onto my next workout in the series.  I finally got serious about staying on track around week 6.  Not long after that I received an email from the local Alpha Phi chapter announcing a 5k.  How perfect!!  My first 5k and it would be an Alpha Phi sponsored event.  Definitely meant to be. 

Craig's Mom came into town to watch the kids for us.  (Thanks again Dottie!!)  Seamus did NOT have a good night the night prior to the race.  I remember reading the articles about "what to do before your first 5k" and they all said to get a good night of sleep for 2 days prior.  Yeah, right.  Not in this house!  I hoped that he'd have a good night, but he didn't and I was up 4 times that night.  Needless to say, I was exhausted that morning.  I was up with him the final time at 5am and had to just stay up in order to get ready and get on the road by 6:15 am.

Once we got there, the adrenaline kicked in and I felt fine.   I had Craig with me to keep me company, calm my nerves, make me laugh & cheer me on.  Oh and take some pictures too.  Here's me just prior to the start of the race.
Photobucket

The start of the race!  I started very near the back of the pack.  I fully expected to be the last one to return to the finish line.  :)
Photobucket

We had to run up & over the hill to start the course.  We would later come back down this hill to finish.  (Kind of wish I had known that little tid-bit when it came time for me to "cross the finish line")
Photobucket

Here I am just about to cross the finish line.  See the guy in the background, standing at the top of the hill?  I stopped right up there before running down to the finish.  Ugh.  For some reason I had this momentary panic, thinking I might be running in the wrong direction (or something of the like) and make a complete fool of myself in front of all the people surrounding the finish line.  I actually stopped, looked behind me to see if there was anyone close that I could let go by and then follow them in.  lol  Seriously.  Then I came to my senses and just ran down the hill.  I would have come in under the 40 min mark had I not stopped.  (That clock isn't my exact time since I started at the back of the pack... but it's close)  Oh well, that's what your first race is all about, right?  Making all the stupid mistakes you hope not to make later.
Photobucket

All in all, it was GREAT!!  I had to take a few small walk breaks along the way.  The longest I had run, non-stop, prior to this race, was 30 min.  I expected to take about 45 minutes to finish and likely walk the last portion.  I ran much faster than I thought I would (and didn't know it until after seeing my time) and kept my walk breaks under 1 minute.
Photobucket

Turns out I completed the race at a 12:57 min/mile pace and finished the race in 40:13.  I was really happy with that.  Now I have a time to beat for my next race.  ;)  I'm hoping that I can run one in San Diego this summer!
Photobucket

Later that day, we spent some time outside with Grandma.  Actually Grandma spent pretty much ALL day outside with McKenna.  lol  I took a much needed nap and then joined the fun a bit later in the day.  Here they are playing "ring around the rosie".
Photobucket

Seamus, hanging out with Mommy.
Photobucket

*Love*
Photobucket

While McKenna LOVES her tricycle & big wheel style bike, she refuses to use the pedals.  So, I thought maybe she would enjoy a balance bike.  I found one at Walmart for $30!! 
Photobucket


She was super excited and waited, not so patiently, for Daddy to assemble the bike.  However, she quickly changed her mind when she realized she would have to steady the bike herself.  Oh well.  I'm sure she'll want to try again later.
Photobucket

Seamus had a front row seat for the big (non)event.
Photobucket

Daddy coloring with McKenna.  Makes my heart happy.
Photobucket

"I see Mommy."
Photobucket

No comments: